Saturday, April 24, 2010

You asked for it, you got it ...





Two or three of you, anyway.

I've decided to make my Southwestern site a little more interactive, albeit in a very slow paced way, by creating a few blogs. One of them will be the official (my, aren't we feeling important, Joseph) update blog for my site, and the others will serve as interfaces between my site and a few of the larger online communities. If you're on Livejournal and you'd like to leave a few civil comments that have something to do with my site and not, say, the great deal I can get on pharmaceuticals, then I'm not going to ask you to create a whole new membership just to leave a few comments. There will be a blog right there, on your system, with a few comments about some of my pages and some of the pages I've read on Livejournal of related interest, which you should be able to comment on, using your already existing account.

I had been using a guestbook, and I'll leave that up as long as I'm allowed to by the provider, but I've tended to find those unsatisfactory. Without any kind of threading, discussions are difficult to follow when they're even possible, and the formatting on my previous host forced all of the text to be centered in a most unattractive and hard to read way. Not good, and one can easily do better.

The name will probably change to something that sounds a little nicer, but the subject matter of my site will remain the same: the Desert Southwest in the United States, from Western Texas to inland California, its culture, history and geology. Photography of high, dry, desolate places, recipes for pozole and chile, both red and green, pottery, pueblos ...

As time and finances allow. As this is the blog for a poor man's travel site, posting will be as intermittent as a desert stream, but I will be setting up a few automatic updating services, and having found a place to stay out there, I might be visiting more often, in the future.